Below is a short selection from the papers and reports I have written or co-authored:
This final chapter of my book summarizes the seven facets of reflexive practice
A revised version of this framing paper for the 2013 Big Push Forward Conference will be published as a chapter in R. Eyben, I. Guijt, C.Roche and C, Shutt (eds) (forthcoming 2015) The Politics of Evidence in International Development: Playing the Game to Change the Rules?’ Practical Action
- 2012 ‘The hegemony crack’d. The power guide to getting care onto the development agenda. IDS Working Paper no. 411
Why has unpaid care stayed largely invisible as a development policy issue and how power analysis can get care on the agenda.
- 2011 with M. Mukhopadhyay,Sohela Nazneen, Maheen Sultan,Agnes Apusigah and Dzodzi Tsikata Rights_and_Resources
- 2009 with F. Wilson ‘The capacity to have an effect. An efficacy study for the Caribbean Child Support Initiative/Bernard Van Leer Foundation 94pp
This study explores how a regional network of committed individuals can influence policy
- 2008 ‘Conceptualising policy practices’ Pathways of Empowerment Working Paper no.1 83pp
- 2008 ‘Power, mutual accountability and responsibility in the practice of international aid: a relational approach; IDS Working Paper 305 39pp
- 2009 Stories of Empowerment A framework document for the DAC POVNET Task Team on empowerment. 12pp
Introduces a controversial methodology that obliges donors to recognize in their practice that they are not the centre of the universe.
- 2008 with N.Kabeer and A. Cornwall ‘Conceptualising empowerment’ Background paper for the DAC Poverty Network
- 2004 ‘Political and social inequality: a review essay for development practitioners with a background in the social sciences’
- 2003 ‘Donors as political actors. Fighting the Thirty Years War in Bolivia’ IDS Working Paper 32pp
The first of several publications about Bolivia written after I came to IDS, donors as political actors’ is a phrase that thereafter became widely adopted in studies of international aid.